Monday, January 25, 2010

P.S.

On the same note as my last post I remember this fantastic quote from a truly exceptional book, Everything Is Illuminated, that I would recommend to anyone. This quote is from a book within the book, an encyclopedia of sorts written by the whole town. This was their definition of Art.

"Art is that thing having to do only with itself-- the product of a successful attempt to make a work of art. Unfortunately there are no examples of art, nor good reasons to think that it will ever exist. (Everything that has been made has been made with a purpose, everything with an end that exists outside that thing, i.e., I want to sell this, or I want this to make me famous and loved, or I want this to make me whole, or worse, I want this to make others whole.) And yet we continue to write, paint, sculpt, and compose. Is this foolish of us?"
- Jonathan Safran Foer

Is this foolish of us? Yes, I think so, but so necessary at the same time. It is this expression, this alternate form of communication that feeds the soul and reminds us of the divinity of creation. Everyone creates for different reasons, but ultimately we do it because it feels good, because it helps us to understand ourselves and the world better. At least that's why I do it, foolish or not.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I am feeling without words, and I am wishing there was a "like" button.

The Cordell Cruiser said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLlnq5yY7k

if you haven't seen this you need to.

sallysue said...

In some ways I am to disagree, respectfully, about Froer's definition of Art. Unfortunately I have two articles and responses to do tonight and I am unable to articulate the feelings that I am having.
Unless, perhaps, we remember and agree that we are talking about Art in the textbook terms.... Then perhaps I would agree.
Sorry to be so cryptic. Hopefully soon I will be able to explain myself more fully.

paige said...

Zach, that was absolutely lovely, thank you for sharing. And Heidi I agree, the definition is not perfect and I think there's so much more too it. Even if there is no true art out there, I'm ok with the reasons he gives for doing art, especially the "I want this to make me whole, or worse, I want this to make others whole." I just think it's a clever way to put a definition to something that is by nature undefinable. Anyway, we'll definitely talk later.