Monday, August 31, 2009

juxtaposition

So I was driving down Hobbs today and saw this mailbox that I notice every time I drive down Hobbs. It's just so strange. The top part that receives mail is the normal size and shape of the average mailbox but it's painted with these big red roses. Not in kind of 60's cheesy representation of a rose, but in a fully serious old lady floral kind of rose. Which is fine whatever, I tend to enjoy old lady things. But then the base of the mailbox, the part that's usually just a pole in the ground, is this stainless steel, zig-zaging, twisty sculpture. Again, also something I usually enjoy. What is so great about this mailbox is the strange mixture between the very traditional looking flowers, and the modern, sculptural base. I just love it. I love the irony, the humor, and the juxtaposition of the two parts. Utterly delightful.