Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Could I have one time warp please with a side of motivation

So I am terrible at making use of the time that I have. I always have been. So in school the past few years I have loaded up my schedule since when I'm busy I tend to get more done than if I have nothing to do. Which is wonderful, only this week I'm tired of being busy. Lately I have wanted to paint. I just want to go into my imaginary studio and paint something, to continue the series I started last semester and promised myself I would work on. but I have no time. Between classes, seeing my friends so I don't feel like a hermit, family, and my practicum (36 hours of observing an art teacher before Thanksgiving), I just don't have time. and right at this moment I feel frustrated. Why am I going to be an art teacher when all I want to do is get married, have a bunch of babies and paint on the side for the rest of my life. Going to grad school for painting is already in the plan, but I wonder if I should be looking so forward to that. I decided in high school that I wanted to teach, and I do. I love teenagers and I enjoy my practicum. The teacher I observe is literally the sweetest lady on the earth and a great teacher who truly cares about her students. The kids are fantastic. I have had opportunities to really help and guide them through the conceptual and even the technicalities of projects and its been fun. At least with the older kids it is. In the Art I classes it's a different story. The kids take advantage of Ms. Ellis and are unbelievably immature even for teenagers. It's like baby sitting. I know I can do it. I just don't know if I want to anymore. What if I'm really just meant to be teaching someone else. Teaching college sounds appealing right now, and it's intimidating to think about all I have to learn about painting and the art of it before I would even feel comfortable teaching someone how to paint. But the idea of studying it sounds so much more exciting to me than thinking about my education classes. So the question is, do I just suck it up and finish the education degree as a backup and then just throw myself into painting later, and hope I'll find time to paint in the next two years, or just quit and paint now.
As previously mentioned I am terribly indecisive. Though this isn't a decision I intend on making quickly or cavalierly. This'll be one to ponder and pray about. I think it might be a little more serious than my Halloween costume.


(I just thought this was a clever little illustration)

1 comment:

Laura said...

I could have written this blog about myself with hardly any alteration! I am going through the same things! Exactly the same in fact! And I'm the same about getting more done when I'm busy! You just articulated my life.