Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tired

So I had a painting due yesterday for my class, so of course the week before I was busting my fanny to finish it on time so most everything else took a back-burner for a while. For a little explanation, the project was just to paint a still-life on a 3'x3' canvas, but for each square foot it had to be treated differently. For example, in one square the marks reiterated the picture plane, and another had a different color palate, or explored depth of field through edges or saturation, etc. So each square was different, but made up the image as a whole. It was an interesting and challenging project. It was like doing 9 different paintings all at once. Anyway, so despite being so weary of still-lifes I really enjoyed this painting in some ways. This is the first painting I've done since I switched majors and I felt so much more motivated to work on it than any other similarly tedious painting. It felt good to paint. I would come home from the studio with my legs aching and my feet sore, barely able to focus my eyes after standing and staring so long, but it was a better tired than anything else. It was a happy tired. I was physically worn down but emotionally, mentally, it felt good to have been painting.
I will post a picture of the painting as soon as I get around to taking a picture of it, but in the meantime I will be happy for a little break this week, but hopefully tomorrow we'll get more details on our next assignment. I hear it's a self-portrait which really, really excites me. I've wanted to paint one for a while but haven't had the time to do anything outside of school. I'm excited enough to be hoping I can get started during spring break, which is unheard of for me to start an assignment early. So we'll see how that pans out.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Don't you just love it, feeling accomplished and exhausted- I love that feeling! Like when you excersize or do homework for 6 hours or create something!